When it comes to getting hurt on the job in Pennsylvania, no two injuries are the same. Some injuries are physical, while others are mental. Some are a combination of mental and physical. Some injuries happen instantaneously while others happen gradually over time.
No matter what the injury or the cause, one thing is certain—you are hurt and need help.
Top Workplace Injuries in Pennsylvania
One of the best ways to prevent an injury is to be aware of the most common workplace injuries. Knowing this encourages you to use extra care when performing certain activities. It also enables others in your workplace to exhibit care and caution when working together.
Here are some of the most common injuries in the workplace that we see in the claims filed through our law firm:
- Back injuries. These injuries often occur when a worker pushes, pulls, lifts, or moves something too heavy for his physical abilities. Overexertion while performing manual labor coupled with poor form and safety equipment is perhaps the top cause of injuries in the workplace.
- Falls. Falling is another common workplace injury. Whether it’s tripping over an uneven surface, falling on a flat surface, or falling down stairs, anytime your body hits the ground with a sudden force, it can cause a serious injury.
- Trips over objects. If a coworker carelessly left an object in your path and you fall over it, you could be seriously hurt. Objects in pathways, aisles, hallways, and other areas can catch a person off-guard and cause serious harm.
- Falling objects. Sometimes objects are not properly secured in storage bins or compartments. When these objects fall and strike you, they can cause severe injuries.
- Vehicle accidents. Many occupations involve transportation for work-related purposes. If an accident happens while driving (or being driven) from one location to another, you could be seriously hurt.
- Repetitive motions. Repetitive motions—such as from typing or contact with vibrating machinery—can cause injuries over time.
- Harassment. Verbal and physical harassment in the workplace is more common than you might realize. It can lead to physical and mental injuries.
- Machinery accidents. Getting caught in or trapped by machinery can have serious consequences. Severe injuries, including amputations and death, are often associated with these accidents.
When it comes to an on-the-job injury, there are a number of ways you can get hurt. No matter how your injury occurs, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation.
Did you learn something in this article? If so, please share it on Facebook. You never know which one of your friends might benefit from this same information.